VOLUN’QUEERBASH hosted by The LOL Word’s Chloe Petts
Welcome to VOLUN’QUEERBASH Hosted by The LOL Word’s Chloe Petts.
The Outside Project will be the UK’s first LGBTIQ+ Winter Shelter. We will be based in London & are looking to recruit some amazing volunteers. We have invited other brilliant community projects along to introduce the work they do too.
After the summer we’ve had we can’t host a volunteer fair without making a bash of it so the wonderful Chloe Petts has volunteered to put on a great show for you all!
Volunteer fair: 5.30pm
– The Outside Project
– GenderSwap (TBC)
Guest speakers / Q&A from 6:30pm
*The bar will open at this point but there will be a supported sober space*
Show starts: 8.30pm
We are looking for compassionate, hard working people who feel that they have the emotional capacity to support vulnerable people who are in crisis in a friendly, practical & non-judgemental way.
You will preferably have lived experience or an understanding of the complex issues & support services available to the LGBTIQ+ community.
Your role will involve befriending – playing games, watching films & light conversations. Practical support – clothing store, preparing basic meals, laundry & general housekeeping.
There will be a professional on site at all times & your role will strictly not involve supporting guests to resolve their crisis or homelessness. This is for the safety of all guests & volunteers.
*We are unable to disclose the venue of the shelter for safety reasons but will provide travel distance times to anyone interested in volunteering with us.
A few things to consider about volunteering at the shelter:
1. The shelter is exclusively for the LGBTIQ+ community – please only consider applying if you are a member of the community or a strong ally.
–Please private message the team if you would like to discuss this further as this event page is not an appropriate place for debate on why the shelter is specifically supporting the LGBTIQ+ community or why we are primarily seeking LGBTIQ+ people as volunteers.
2. There will be a professional at the service at all times who will lead on the support of guests & general practise within the service.
3. Your role will be of a practical nature & you will be expected to maintain strong boundaries around interaction with guests. For example: no 1-1 or private conversations.
4. All shifts will involve either late nights, early mornings or waking nights. We are looking for a commitment of 2x shifts per month as a minimum & 2x shifts per week as a maximum.
5. All volunteers will undergo an enhanced DBS check.
We are unable to offer volunteer placements to anyone with the following convictions:
Offences relating to children.
Any convictions for sexual offences.
Any convictions for serious violent offences or repeated convictions for violent offences.
- Category :
- Date :
Oct . 07 . 2017